few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:30:12 UTC 2008

I've been following this sporadically, but if the issue is, as I believe it
is, whether a regular user should be able to run the programs that we
usually save for root, then I say, "have you gone nuts?"  If you want that,
go use windows.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM, David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:27 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > >
> > > The last part of your sentence is the key. /sbin and /usr/sbin exist
> > > keep tools out of ordinary users' PATH.
> > >

> > Which made sense when every machine was expected to have an
> > administrator to do the complicated stuff for you, but fedora doesn't
> > ship one.
> >

> Or maybe it existed to keep path search times down for users who didn't
> need those extra programs there...
>
> Of course, we now have 3123 programs in /usr/bin on my F8 system.
>
> David
>

> --

Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com
http://server.ericsbinaryworld.com
"Do not worry about those things that are outside of your circle of
influence. For since they are outside of your power to control them it is
simply a waste of time and energy to dwell on them. Instead, turn your
attention to those things that you can control and grow your influence in
those areas and you will see the effects begin to trickle out to those items
that were previously out of your power to influence." – Eric Mesa inspired
by Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People