few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 19:59:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Don't confuse permission to access the things the programs typically
> affect with the finding the programs in your PATH.  No one is suggesting
> that the concept of root authentication should go away.  Just that the
> difference between doing "su' and "su -" be less confusing and that
> typing ifconfig should show a user his ip address, not
> bash: ifconfig: command not found

There are more subtle issues here as well.  Sure some individual binaries
are useful if you arent the administrator. How many binaries in /*/sbin/ are
currently still setuid root?  Do we need to continue to take some care with
those binaries by giving local administrators a way to easily wall off those
binaries in a directory that users can't get to by setting strict directory
access permissions?

If we are going to clean things up and stop separating the path with an
intent to give access to things to users, we need to take a harder look at
this all the binaries, not just the few we know are useful for informational
purposes.

-jef