Res: Suggestion Next Release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:22:39 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Dimi Paun wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 02:01 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Nah. Community!= selective number of people who decide to vote on
>>> slashdot.
>>
>> You must be kidding if you imagine Community = "a small vocal community
>> that _tells_ you what you should like".
>
> In Fedora, maintainers on the whole decide how their package defaults
> should be. If you can't convince the maintainers, tough luck. Polls
> aren't how we do things. Community != Democracy either.

But at the same time... I'm sure a good quality run poll, with a sufficiently large
statistical pool of voters, would be welcomed as an argument *for change* in the default.
  In the thread and in all arguments made against spatial browsing all I see are people
saying "I don't like it and I am sure most people don't either".  I have yet to see anyone
even post a link to a good discussion against it (blog/computing press/forum/mailing
lists).. not one.

I like spatial browsing, and I've stated why.  The gnome developers like and they have
stated why (see mailing lists, one of which I've already posted here).

If 'the people' want change, there should be sufficient evidence out there, and I don't
see any chance the upstream defaults are going to change without someone bringing that to
them.