Directory structures in the future and other things I want.

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:57:18 UTC 2008

I dont know if this is a thread hijack, but I felt this was a better
name than the previous threads subject. If it is.. my apologies..

My main 2 things I would like:

1) If we were to say get rid of /usr/bin, /bin, or /sbin etc.. Heck I
wouldn't mind if it wasn't named something people could understand
like: /SystemPrograms/ . I justwould like to see it come from a joint
Linux taskforce so that it's not just yet another OS weirdness. I say
this because I am currently having to rewrite my .profile to deal with
our growing HP-UX, AIX, SuSE, Red Hat, Solaris, and CygWin
environment. Everyone but Linux seems to stick things in weird spots
or you are expected to know that you can't use /opt/bin/blah all the
time because its a symlink and it breaks on this blah blah blah.

2) One thing that Jesse and Seth brought up was the one major RPM
breakage that comes up every other release about why we can't do
something really cool. And that is the problem with symlinks and I
think directories. I would rather us do something really really
radical like going to a package system that deals with that than
moving items from /sbin, /usr/sbin/, /usr/myosrocks/sbin etc.

3) I think I will +1 Bills very clear fix: Just add /sbin:/usr/sbin to
everyone's path. Deal with 1 and 2 after 9 is out the door, and
probably shoot for it to be 11 earliest (or if we never go to 10 or
11.. whatever the next series is called :)).