Directory structures in the future and other things I want.

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 22:31:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 17:27 -0500, Ian Weller wrote:
> > -10. In /sbin and /usr/sbin aren't binaries supposed to be run by
> > average user and some of them even does not work with insufficient
> > privileges. If you insist on using them you should be proficient enough
> > to be able to add it to your path yourself.
>
> Good point, I hadn't thought about the command-line newcomers.  <nod>

Again, this argument is bunk.  If they're not supposed to be ran by
normal users, hiding them behind a path is no form of security.  One can
just run the full path to it.  If they're not supposed to be ran by
users, they should have correct permissions on them, or they should
check EUID of the caller before doing anything.

Other distros have been running with normal users having (/usr)/sbin in
their path for a multitude of years, and the world hasn't ended.
RH/Fedora just makes things needlessly complicated for no good reason.

--
Jesse Keating