F8/9 6-16x slower than XP to boot

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Mar 28 05:59:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 22:37 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> It looks to me like Virtual Box has serious issues (bugs).  This is
> absurdly slow compared to my machines: macbook core 2 duo both as
> physical install and vmware virtual machines (x86 and x86_64), and P4
> 2Ghz 1Gb rdram.

Oh, for sure there's something fishy in there. The only reason why I did
this test was that XP in VM was so fast (6x faster!) when compared to F8
on real hardware (with 8x more RAM) that I thought maybe somehow running
in the VM may be an advantage...

No matter how you cut it, we are at least 6x slower than XP to start.
Last time I brought this up, there were people suggesting that it's just
and impression, that XP is unusable for minutes after you login, etc.

I wanted to test this, and it didn't seem so. In fact, I found that even
though it was running in the VM, in XP I could click on the Firefox icon
within a few seconds from login, and browser will start quickly, and be
more responsive than the one started on F8 running on the real hardware.

Heck, XP boots in the VM faster than I can start Firefox on the real
hardware! (That happens after boot only of course, later on from a warm
cache it takes only 4sec to start Firefox vs. 1sec in XP)

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.