Fedora Development Process

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:46:47 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 11:30 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 01:43:45AM -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> > Andrew Farris wrote:
> >> No, it meant F9 development was begun and rawhide was branched away from
> >> F8 on that date; it meant rawhide could be messed with without effecting
> >> F8.
> >
> > Wow, sorry disregard this TV-while-typing nonsense (I should answer
> > questions I think about and know the answer for).  I think that what you
> > said Axel would be correct, in that dist-f10 should be available for
> > packages to branch to after april 8 but rawhide will stay dist-f9 until
> > release date.  But any changes made in 'rawhide' or dist-f9 branches would
> > still effect f9.  But someone clearly needs to confirm what I just said...
>
> Actually what I want to know is when could I start committing/building
> in CVS' devel w/o hurting F9.

Now, if you do an early branch request.  April 8 if you want to wait.

> More specificially I wanted to submit freenx-server/client packages,
> which while still close to the old packaged "freenx" could carry some
> new bugs which I'd like some rawhide/updates-testing time to sort out.

Well, there's a problem there.  Even after the branching occurs, your
builds won't hit rawhide as that is composed from the dist-f9 tags
still.  So dist-f10 builds will be queued in koji and can be gotten from
there, but it won't hit a wider audience until after F9 is released.

josh