few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Timothy Selivanow timothy.selivanow at virtualxistenz.com
Fri Mar 28 16:20:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:06 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:
> This is because /sbin was for 'static' binaries (static-bin).

That's not what the FHS states
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard>.  /bin is
for "Essential command binaries that need to be available in single user
mode; for all users (e.g., cat, ls, cp).", and /sbin is for "Essential
system binaries (e.g., init, route, ifup).", and similarly for /bin
and /sbin that resides in /usr, but with the added "Non-essential" bit.
The key, IMO, is that the ${prefix}/bin is meant for all users, where
${prefix}/sbin is not (restricted access).

Back to the question at hand...  Now I am not opposed to (not that my
opinion makes a difference in this) symlinking the appropriate binaries
from ${prefix}/bin to ${prefix}/sbin for FHS compliance and support for
older things and have that provided as a separate package (thank you
Seth for reminding me ;).

I do have some concerns (in as much as it is an unknown to me) as to the
long term effects that would have, and how it would affect other distros
that use Fedora as a base (i.e. RHEL).

--Tim
/ Reichel's Law:                                                              \
|         A body on vacation tends to remain on vacation unless acted upon by |
\         an outside force.                                                   /
  \
   \   \
        \ /\
        ( )