Rawhide 20080328 Snapshot Released

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 30 13:22:41 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> As part of our development schedule, we are releasing a snapshot of
> Rawhide in iso and Live form.  We are releasing these via bittorrent
> only as it is a much lighter weight method to get bits out the door than
> to go through our mirroring system.  If you cannot use bittorrent we
> apologize for the inconvenience.
I'd like to use bit torrent even more efficiently by using the 9beta
live image to build the rawhide image.

I am wanting to make some improvements to

To do this I wrote a python app to insert into a started bittorrent
download iso the bits available from an earlier download.

The key to testing whether that helps is being able to generate an
isoinfo dump of the iso contents.

Is there any chance that this could be scripted and lodged somewhere on
fp.org ?
Even better: include it in the torrent itself, so that as the torrent
user could mark that file for download, and the iso/SHA1sum as not
download. Then the external app fills the .torrent with the already
downloaded parts.

Second would be to be able to get a structure of the yet to be
downloaded iso's squashfs.img. I'm going to be giving that a try in the
next few weeks - unless there is proof that there is no way that it
could save on actual downloads.

DaveT.