Summer of Code draft proposal

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 14:37:47 UTC 2008

>     In terms of my project proposal... partition management is a bit of a
> niche topic, given that it is rarely used in an active manner, apart from
> the preparation of the disk in installation and the tweaking of the disk for
> power users.  Nevertheless, one is given a few tools with which to do
> this... one of them being QTParted.  However, this was last actively
> developed in 2005... 3 years ago.  Worse still, GParted has been suffering
> from development draught for a while, only recently gaining a much needed
> C++ dev.  To be clear, I mean no disrespect to either project.  They are
> simply in need of updating and a development surge.  I do, however, feel
> that the need is here for something new and more sustainable for the coming
> years.
>     What I propose is that I base something new on VisParted (a recent
> GParted fork for partedmagic):
>     ~Abstract it a tad more and adapt it to QT instead of GTKmm (which seem
> quite similar).

Instead of forking why not help out QtParted and GParted themselves? I
know a few of the GParted developers and they would be happy to have
more helping hands.

For what it is worth, I was working upstream to create a C++ wrapper
for libparted so that front-ends like GParted can use a native C++
API. A lot of work is still left to be done. David Cantrell is doing
similar work; trying to create a Python wrapper for libparted.

However I am not sure these are really relevant to Fedora or not?
GParted is part of GNOME, and the libparted work is part of GNU
Parted.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
    -- Arthur Ashe