few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Mar 28 08:16:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 22:47 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 11:40 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> Whatever purpose someone thought the s- versions might have ever served
> >> flies out the window when the the administrator and the only user are
> >> one and the same person who is just confused by sometimes having
> >> commands work and sometimes not.
> > This proposal is in the same class of proposals proposing to abandon
> > "user accounts" and/or to use "root only".
>
> No it is not.  There are absolutely no security considerations *right now* for
> whether a normal user has /*/sbin in their path or not.

Correct, security is not the point. The point is *usability*

It's in the same lane as
"Who needs root, gid/uids when I am the only user on a system?

>   This has nothing
> whatsoever to do with access permission or authorization for actions those
> binaries may attempt to make.  Changing to root only definitely does.
That's not my rationale.

IMO, this proposal is yet the n-th manifestation of Fedora going down
the drain - Frankly speaking, to me this proposal is such kind of
absurd, I can only turn away in disgust.

Ralf