Too many default services on

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Mon Mar 31 08:16:02 UTC 2008

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Trying a yum everything install, I found out, that booting now takes
> endlessly.
>
> # ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S*|wc -l
> 95
>
> Please review, if the packages really need to be "on" after an install.

<snip>

I would argue that since this was an "everything" install, most of these
services are not enabled by default, but by installing the (non default)
package.
And that if I install a specific package, I would want the service to
start as default (or else I would not have installed the package in the
first place).

Rgds.

Ola (T)

--