Proposal: Bodhi Anonymous Karma

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 11:08:14 UTC 2008

> Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> writes:
> > I'd like to get some review on this proposal so that it can be presented
> > at this Thursday's FESCo meeting.  It can be found on the wiki at:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JoshBoyer/BodhiAnonymousKarmaProposal
>
> If KevinKofler's comment on that page is accurate:
>
> : As far as I can tell, anonymous votes alone can't get the karma to +/-3
> : in the current implementation, because "anonymous" is handled as one
> : user, so anonymous votes can only get it to +1 or -1.
>
> then if anything I'd say anon votes are being *undercounted*.

I'm not entirely sure of this.  I'll ask Luke.  My last conversation
with him lead me to believe that Anonymous wasn't tracked as a single
user, but I could be mistaken.  If so, then I'll likely drop this
proposal all together.

> Are there real examples of someone flooding a package with duplicate
> anon votes?  I see that a potential for gaming the system exists, but
> I'm not convinced that we should reduce the usefulness of the system
> for normal cases to prevent that.  A manual case-by-case override might
> serve better.

I have yet another proposal that puts more control of the automation
rules into the maintainer's hands anyway.  That one is arguably the most
important.

> Tracking of where anon votes came from would be a good idea in any case.

That completely defeats the definition of "Anonymous".

josh