Multilib Middle-Ground

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu May 1 03:44:51 UTC 2008

Colin Walters <walters <at> verbum.org> writes:
> The right way to approach this I think is to target specific third
> party applications which we want to work out of the box.  Say for
> example, Flash and VMWare Workstation.  Surely there are others, but I
> think we can arrive at a reasonably sane set.  We then add these
> packages to the default install image.

How about the empty set? We should only support properly-packaged RPMs, which
will drag in these dependencies if they're installed (from a valid repository
or using something like yum localinstall), if the proprietary applications
don't want to provide them, why should we care?

The KDE Live image is at the limit of CD size, every compat cruft package added
is an application we have to remove to compensate for the size, why should we
remove useful applications or go over the standard 700 MB CD size to accomodate
proprietary crap which we can't ship and which isn't even packaged properly?

        Kevin Kofler