Multilib Middle-Ground

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:06:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'd think that a distribution on the bleeding edge as fedora should be the
> one leading this effort, not looking for something to join.

Here's the thing.... for cross-distribution standardization to work...
multiple distributions have to be willing to do it.  We just plant a
flag and go our community built packaging guidance is a de-facto
standard and everyone else should follow us.. but its not really gonna
work.  There has to be a real desire from the stakeholders who need to
adopt the standard to work on it and agree to using it. You aren't
adding anything to the discussion by repeatedly telling us that the
situation is suboptimal.

I don't really think you have any real concept as to what's going on
in the space, and as such I think you need to back off from
accusations that the Fedora packaging community isn't interested in
collaborating with other distros on standardization.  Make an effort
to inform yourself more fully as to what each distro is prepared to
collaborate on so next time you want to throw accusations around, you
have some specific things we should be doing in terms of collaboration
with willing partners.

-jef