Multilib Middle-Ground

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri May 2 07:01:40 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 13:18 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> said:
> > WINE, which has legitimate open source purposes. Sorry, some of us pay
> > our rent by developing open source that runs on Windows. I'm not going
> > to live in my car for the sake of ideological purity.
>
> Is there a bug that prevents "yum install wine" from pulling in the 32
> bit libraries as needed?

That wasn't your question. I was answering your question and countering
your underlying assertion that i386 compatibility is ideologically
impure and only useful for closed source software. A MinGW
cross-compiler toolchain and WINE provide a complete Windows development
environment with absolutely no closed source involved, providing tools
with which to wean people off closed source software one application at
a time.

Want another reason? Being able to develop and test i386 builds on my
nice fast uber-RAM x86_64 box is incredibly useful. Not all of my
machines are x86_64, and i386 is still the dominant architecture
overall, so any sane developer HAS to make sure it works. Seriously,
Fedora's ease of i386 compatibility is a *major* selling point for us.
Go look around at the twisted flakey chroot hacks Debian/Ubuntu have to
go through to get what we get with ease.