Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:14:40 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  How can I - or anyone - answer a question about something that doesn't
>> exist?  My original comment was to the effect that it was a bad thing that
>> is doesn't.
>
> If there is no standard you cannot claim that what we are doing
> internal is not appropriate.
>
>>  Nothing I've said has had any vitrol and not much hyperbole.  I just have
>> the opinion that making it difficult to run programs that aren't
>> specifically included and modified for fedora is a bad thing for everyone,
>> even if that opinion is unpopular here.
>

> Stop singling Fedora out specifically.

This particular thread is about a specific change proposed for fedora -
which if made will make it more complicated to install VMWare and
probably many other things. Others have been about how other
distributions make things easier for their users.  Or how it is bad that
fedora no longer works with japackage.org.  By nature, those things are
fedora-specific.

   You can single out what we are
> doing and say is any more non-standard that what other distros are
> doing. 'We' aren't making it difficult..

Oh, please... What do you have to do in fedora to get a java working
that will run most of the the available (but not packaged for fedora)
open source java programs like opengrok and alfresco?  It's not quite
impossible but I dare you to claim its not difficult. OpenNMS and
Openfire sort-of cater to this deficiency by including a JVM in their
RPM distributions but if you installed both you wouldn't get shared text
execution and who knows what would execute for other instances.  And
running applets in browsers should work out of the box even if you were
once misled by lies about java being a trap.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com