Multilib Middle-Ground

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat May 3 04:11:07 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The point is that for years fedora has had a scheme of package
> requirements and no standard-compliant JVM that provided them.  And it has a
> strange symlinked path scheme that needs to be fixed when installing a
> standard JVM.

I find the symlink/alternatives structure *so much* better than having
to munge the PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables that I don't
understand why you're complaining about it.

>  You are confusing 2 issues.  By standard-compliant, I mean the language
> spec which does exist and as far as I know, nothing fedora has ever shipped,
> meets.

I couldn't find the status of OpenJDK 6 is with respect to the TCK in
a brief search, but if Fedora's shipped package didn't pass I think it
would be regarded as an important bug.