Multilib Middle-Ground

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat May 3 18:14:12 UTC 2008

Le vendredi 02 mai 2008 à 22:31 +0000, Kevin Kofler a écrit :

> JPackage has no guideline which forbids Free packages to have dependencies
> (RPM "Requires:") on non-Free ones, and there are some which do, even where it
> is possible to build the package without that dependency. Fedora had to patch
> out those dependencies when importing those packages. I don't remember the
> exact affected packages, but I do remember there were some packages which had
> non-Free dependencies removed as part of the import into Fedora.

Well the right way would have been to provide a replacement for the
proprietary crap, not to remove user functionality. If you can put a
FLOSS JVM under most jpp packages, that's because the deps are meant to
be replaced by FLOSS stuff (and when they can't because the FLOSS
project decided it would be smart not to copy the proprietary blob
layout, the deps are changed at request).

Many jpackage rpms were created before FLOSS replacements existed. I'm
sorry we lacked the cristal ball to predict what would or would not have
a FLOSS alternatives later. We knew most of it would get alternatives –
otherwise it would have been a lot less work just to hardcode a
particular JVM everywhere like everyone else was doing (and still is
BTW).

--
Nicolas Mailhot