Apt autoupdates

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Sat May 3 18:50:50 UTC 2008

Anders Karlsson wrote:
> * Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> [20080503 17:47]:
>
>> Suren Karapetyan wrote:
>>

>>> Should I file a bug?
>>> Cause it's really annoying... It installs a new init script without any
>>> notice, makes it run by default and makes it update your system... without
>>> asking you.
>>>
>> Yeah. You should file a bug report.
>>

> I was under the impression that this is what 'pinning' packages was
> available for. I don't see this as a bug but as expected
> behaviour. After all, we do expect yum and it's tools up update
> all available packages unless we tell it not to.
>
> Now, if the packages were pinned, and the update script went ahead and
> updated them anyway, that would be a bug.
>
> /Anders

We expect "yum update" to update all packages.
But we (or at least me) don't expect yum (nor even yum-updatesd) to
update all packages nightly by default.
Agree about pinning, but pinning doesn't work well for rawhide cause
especially during the first half of rawhide development I would have
50%+ packages pinned.
I have only one PC at home so it needs to be at least remotely stable :)