Localisation needs to be improved

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun May 4 00:59:47 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 03:48 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> I don't see any Australia-specific options here. You SHOULD NOT get
> australian currency or paper format with such locale.
>
> If i understand you correctly, you should set everything to
> en_AU.UTF-8, then override LC_MESSAGES with en_US.UTF-8. It will set
> paper and currency to Australian, but leave GUI American english

Yes, my locale output should look as you suggest.

BUT, I the humble end user shouldn't have to know any of this or do
anything to make it so (rather than feed the installer some appropriate
information).

I didn't set the setting this way, anaconda did.  And anaconda has made
all these assumptions because I picked a language to use on my system.
I also told anaconda I live in Australia, but seemingly that information
wasn't that interesting when making assumptions about where I live.

R.

> On 5/4/08, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 03:23 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
> >  > Could you paste "locale" output?
> >  >

> > [rodd at localhost ~]$ locale
> >  LANG=en_US.utf8
> >  LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
> >  LC_ALL=
> >  [rodd at localhost ~]$
> >

> >  --
> >
> > "It's a fine line between denial and faith.
> >   It's much better on my side"
> >
> >  --
> >

> --
> http://scwlab.com