FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Mon May 5 18:24:27 UTC 2008

I'm not sure I can go along with this.  I'm sure we'd all agree that
there's no point in carrying old versions of various pieces of
software for no reason, but we shouldn't drop them all just because
they're not current.  Instead we should (periodically) evaluate why we
have those in the distro and decide if we want to continue to have
them.  So autoconf213 is needed for firefox development.  That's
certainly a valid reason, and it should be documented somewhere (in
the autoconf213 spec, maybe) so that we won't forget next year when
someone again asks why we still have autoconf213 around.

Perhaps we can port a few packages over to a recent automake and get
rid of some of the old versions.  It certainly wouldn't be a bad
thing.

 - J<