MultilibTricks

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon May 5 20:59:12 UTC 2008

Jerry James wrote:
> I tried to use the approach outlined here:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MultilibTricks
>
> to make a package containing both some binaries and a library.  The
> binaries are linked against the library.  The library provides
> functionality used by other open source projects.  However, as the
> reviewer pointed out, the -libs subpackage described on that page
> conflicts with the Packaging Guidelines.  In particular, all
> subpackages are supposed to Require the main package

AFAIk that is not what the guidelines say, and if they do say that then they
should be fixed, a foo-libs package does not need to Require the main package,
and I'm sure I can come up with more examples where a sub package does not need
to require the main package.

, but that gets
> turned into all packages, including the main package, Require the
> -libs subpackage.  I thought about this approach.
>
> foo: main package, contains the .so.* files
> foo-devel: contains the .h and .so files
> foo-bin: contains the binaries
>
> The only downside I can see to that approach is that some people might
> be confused when they install just foo and don't get the binaries.
> How have others addressed this issue?  Also, shoud I read anything
> into the age of that packaging draft?  Thanks,

Just use the -libs approach and don't make -libs Require the main package,
there is no need for it to require the main package.

Regards,

Hans