Localisation needs to be improved

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue May 6 08:31:57 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson さんは書きました:

> On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 03:48 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
>> I don't see any Australia-specific options here. You SHOULD NOT get
>> australian currency or paper format with such locale.
>>
>> If i understand you correctly, you should set everything to
>> en_AU.UTF-8, then override LC_MESSAGES with en_US.UTF-8. It will set
>> paper and currency to Australian, but leave GUI American english

Hmm, if I run "LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 gedit" and look at preferences I see
"Fonts and Colors" not "Fonts and Colours" (like for en_GB)?

> BUT, I the humble end user shouldn't have to know any of this or do
> anything to make it so (rather than feed the installer some appropriate
> information).

Well the timezone approach sounds nice but is probably not practical as
others have pointed out.

I think a simple solution for now would be to allow choosing "English
(country)" as the install language.  At least until we work out a better
approach in the longer term.

I agree it would be nice to be able to configure LC_PAPER system wide or
for users.  system-config-language would be a natural place to do that
currently, but a desktop interface would be good too.

Jens