augeas - reading/modifying/writing system configuration files

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue May 6 12:21:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:25:49PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 23:21 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > So we can get all the advantages of consuming huge amounts of memory,
> > being really slow, and not responding to the ^C key?
> >

> Wow, You're really talking out of your element. So let's cruise through
> some of these:
>  1. consuming huge amounts of memory: the 64bit memory doubling/tripling
> effect isn't fun. That's true. On 32bit it is just fine, though.

I'm not talking about some memory doubling effect, I'm talking about a
memory multiplication by large integer effect!  Take a look at the
stats if you don't believe me:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python&lang2=python

compared to say, C:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python&lang2=gcc

or if you prefer a language with a similar ease of use, OCaml:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=python&lang2=ocaml

Some of these Python programs are using > 10 x more memory and > 15 x
more CPU!

>  2. I think you'll need to come up with a good example case for 'being
> really slow'.
>
>  3. the ctrl-c problem (I assume you're speaking of yum here) is
> directly related to rpm, written in C. Not anything to do with python.

koji watch-task

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top