FESCo Proposal for blocking older version of autoconf & automake

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue May 6 13:54:43 UTC 2008

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 23:43 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
>>> The gain is we decide what to keep and what not to keep based on who
>>> actually is willing to fight to keep it around rather than whoever
>>> feels like complaining on devel list. Its a corollary to "its easier
>>> to apologize than to ask permission," the people who notice the
>>> change are a tiny and far more important subset than the people who
>>> will complain ahead of time.
>>
>> It doesn't account for the developers who will have failures, notice we
>> don't package a version of autoconf anymore and say "Screw that" and
>> move to some other development platform which does support what they
>> need.
>>

> My $.02 worth of thoughts:
>
> One could imagine a policy in which new packages using these tools would
> not be accepted per-se, while the tools would still be available,
> packaged, for those other packages and developers that need it.
>
> Does such, or something similar, make sense?

No.

The packager should not have to use the autotools normally.  So during
package review, what version of autotools is necessary might not come
up.  Only when a problem is discovered that requires changing the
configure.in/ac or Makefile.am will the version of autotools start
mattering to the packager.

-Toshio