New system-config-acpid

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed May 7 10:50:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 09:29 +0200, Zdenek Prikryl wrote:
> Bill Nottingham napsal(a):
> > Not to be a killjoy, but why a config tool for a program which should
> > probably die? Aren't these all better handled by user-specific policy
> > agents such as gnome-power-manager or kpowersave?
>
> Simple reason :-)... if you don't use gnome or kde or this applets, the simplest
> way how to get things work is configure this daemon.

Not really. With HAL running, it should push the ACPI key events through
D-Bus. There's no need for a system-config-acpid or even using acpid.

> On the other hand I agree, that better way is catch this events via HAL and then
> send it to d-bus. But in this case, again, you have to have this applets. AFAIK
> there is no "acpid" for dbus which you can configure for any acpi events (like
> Fn5 which should enable bluetooth).

With the right keymap, all those events already trickle to X, so there
shouldn't ever be a need for acpid or a system-config-acpid, as there's
already enough hot-key handlers in X (such as the ones builtin to GNOME
and KDE).

Do we still install acpid by default?