Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun May 11 07:38:39 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 22:32 +0300, George Billios wrote:

> What went wrong here ?  Even Adam Jackson's move to become the release
> manager of Xorg didn't make it possible to release 1.5 faster - and
> possible "buggier"!

Release numbers are for the ignorant.  Upstream maintainer and people
closely following development think of a module as a list of new
features and current bugs, shrinking and growing by time.  If Adam
thinks it's fine to include a prerelease of xorg in Fedora, then, well,
it's fine.

Just because we called it cairo 1.6.0 didn't make it any better than
1.5.20.  In fact it was worse.  We had to release 1.6.2 the day after to
fix a bad bug introduced in 1.6.0, and yes, had to release 1.6.4 on the
same day, to fix a really bad bug introduced in 1.6.2.  1.5.20 on the
other hand, was in release-candidate state for a week with no major
issues reported...

behdad