Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

George Billios gbillios at gmail.com
Sun May 11 08:37:30 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:Xorg 1.5 missed the train?
From: Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: Sun 11 May 2008 10:38:39 AM EEST

> On Sat, 2008-05-10 at 22:32 +0300, George Billios wrote:
>> What went wrong here ?  Even Adam Jackson's move to become the release
>> manager of Xorg didn't make it possible to release 1.5 faster - and
>> possible "buggier"!
>
> Release numbers are for the ignorant.

And I thought they were for a purpose. Please name the next version of
Xorg in Fedora 1.4.X.Y.Z . Besides you are not an 'ignorant', you will
always know the real version right?

>Upstream maintainer and people
> closely following development think of a module as a list of new
> features and current bugs, shrinking and growing by time.  If Adam
> thinks it's fine to include a prerelease of xorg in Fedora, then, well,
> it's fine.

You (and others here) miss the point, that not everybody is a developer,
not everybody monitors the bug list but almost everybody can notice the
word 'prerelease' in the F9 release notes and would like a reason why
this happened.

Take this for example:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XserverOnePointFive

It mentions that it is a prelease version but it doesn't justify why
including a prelease version is ok.

> Just because we called it cairo 1.6.0 didn't make it any better than
> 1.5.20.  In fact it was worse.  We had to release 1.6.2 the day after to
> fix a bad bug introduced in 1.6.0, and yes, had to release 1.6.4 on the
> same day, to fix a really bad bug introduced in 1.6.2.  1.5.20 on the
> other hand, was in release-candidate state for a week with no major
> issues reported...

Well that is the problem of the developer not the user.