Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 12 23:25:21 UTC 2008

Jerry James wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
>>  Well, largely our "core" stack (and by this I mean comps) does not
>>  (yet) have dependencies on many Java libraries.  So there's not a big
>>  deal swapping out say our objectweb-asm for JPackage's.
>>
>>  However, this is most definitely not a sustainable system in the long term.
>>
>>  I sort of view JPackage as just a specific instance of the
>>  cross-distribution collaboration problem.  Most distributions tend to
>>  focus primarily on dependencies driven by desktop apps or their own
>>  internal needs, but the general free software world is far larger than
>>  that, even before OpenJDK opened up a lot of Java software to us.
>
> So there are a bunch of Java packages that I use that I would like to
> drive into *some* repository where they can get picked up and used by
> others with similar needs.  I've been driving towards Fedora so far.
> What's a good long-term solution, then?  Should I keep that up, focus
> on JPackage, help figure out how the two are going to cooperate, ...?

If people need some software in Fedora, they are going to look for it in
the Fedora repository first. Since Openjdk/icedtea is in Fedora, more
java programs would build in Fedora now than before. End users shouldn't
have to work through conflicting repositories or care about the language
a software is written in to use it.  Changes can and should be shared
with other repositories and upstream software projects however.

Rahul