Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Jason Corley jason.corley at gmail.com
Tue May 13 17:56:45 UTC 2008

> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Which I think illustrates the point that JPackage isn't the upstream for the tomcat5 package, yes?

> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> It seems far more appropriate to say that the Fedora package is derived from JPackage.

Perhaps you two can explain to me the difference between what you
consider package derivation vs. upstream in the context of
packaging... In my mind if you base your package off of the packaging
work of others, those others are (or in this instance should be)
upstream for the package.  Again the Fedora/RHEL analogy seems to fit.
 It feels like splitting semantic hairs to me but you may have a real
distinction which I'd like to hear.  If there is debate there that is
likely the part I'm not understanding, but then I'm just a pig
wallowing in mud so what do I know.
Jason