Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 13 21:59:03 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> OK, please supply your own words.  Jpackage.org has a perfectly fine
> repository.

Nobody has "perfect" repositories.

  Fedora copies some, but not all of those packages into a
> potentially conflicting repository.  Any argument so far?

You are over-simplying. Things aren't merely "copied" over as you can
read about in other mails in the thread. There are developers involved
from Red Hat and otherwise working across both these repositories. There
are frequently changes in the packages in various directions.

  You did say
> we learn to work with repository conflicts.

Yes, the way I deal with it is by not using any third party repositories
that conflict with the official repository or with each other. I also
suggested some other workarounds in a earlier mail if you choose to
install conflicting repositories.

Rahul