rhgb no more

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Wed May 14 15:29:45 UTC 2008

Olivier Galibert wrote:
>> I personally like the option of *not* seeing ugly text messages at boot,
>> even if I perfectly understand what they mean and find them useful when
>> there is an error.
>>

> If you find information ugly, why do you use a computer?  An icon
> blinking for a while with nothing else seemingly happening and with no
> other information, _now_ that's ugly.

Unfortunately, besides the people like you and me, there are a lot of
"Joe Users". Perhaps the term of user (as we understood it in early 90)
is not for them. A term of "customer" is for them. For example,
customers of RHEL (which is Fedora-based). Surely such kind of users buy
RHEL for another tasks, rather than learning of anything. It is
discovered that it is better for them to avoid any extra information,
"for which they did not pay money directly"...

Certainly it must be the option -- whether to see "ugly" messages onboot
or not. Personally, I prefer to see it.  Perhaps I've simple got used to
see it, and I feel more easy when I see that all goes OK immediately.

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy