F7 intel ich5, alsa, device busy

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Wed May 14 19:34:53 UTC 2008

We have a laptop that is running F7 with Intel P4 and ICH5 and alsa.
Whenever you boot the laptop it will play audio for a few minutes and
then the audio app will get an error about not being able to open the
audio channel.  I go into soundcard detection and it does not play
either.  So I select reload audio drivers.  This of course requires a
reboot and then we're good for another few minutes until the audio
driver/device becomes busy again.  There is no other audio app running
other than the one we are trying to use.  I checked for new alsa libs
and nothing.  This is a truly annoying problem for the user.  What is
the best option here for sound on this laptop?

Regards,
Gerry