Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 14 23:35:36 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>> Once you start relying on yum/rpm, there's nothing much uglier than
>> conflicting packages.
>
> Conflicting third party repo/packages are for distributions regardless
> of the package manager.

Yes, but now we are back to the fact that the jpackage ones didn't
conflict with anything until fedora started including conflicting ones,
so it seems in bad taste to blame the third party. Sorry if that sounds
insulting, but that's just the way it looks from outside.  If there was
some big effort made to avoid this problem and it proved to be
impossible, I must have missed the reasons.

>> I'd hope there could be a general solution.
>
> There is no silver bullet.

Not as long as conflicting versions of pre-existing packages are added
to the base repositories...

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com