rhgb no more

Ray Strode halfline at gmail.com
Thu May 15 16:09:51 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Olivier Galibert <galibert at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 01:07:51PM -0400, Ray Strode wrote:
>> 2) Hiding boot messages before gdm unless escape key is pressed.  For
>> graphics hardware that has drm modesetting, we'll be able to show some
>> sort of pretty graphics, and for everyone else we'll show a very
>> simple text mode progress.
>
> Here we go again.
>
> Are you going to wait for the escape key to be pressed or not for a
> little while, or are we going to have to press just at the right time
> between grub and modeswitch if we want to have a chance to check for
> problems?
The idea is Escape at any time would make the graphics disappear, and
would replay all messages that have happened under the hood.

We also talked about potentially trapping the vt switching keys since
users may naturally try to vt switch to see messages.

> Is there going to be an easy way (like there is with rhgb) to see the
> messages (including history) while booting, to check for problems too?
Right, that's the Escape key escape hatch mentioned above. Also
messages are logged to a file that you can look at after boot up.

--Ray