Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri May 16 17:15:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 12:52 -0400, Jason Corley wrote:
> 1) JPackage predates Fedora and it's predecessor in interest
> fedora.us.
> 2) The packages that are in question come from JPackage and were
> imported into Fedora (hence the jpp in version string).
> 3) Most of the JPackage repository is contained in generic, which has
> a goal of being the same set of packages for all distributions we
> support.  Only JNI code (or similar) is in the distribution specific
> repositories, so removal of packages that conflict with Fedora from
> the generic repo harms our user base that is not on Fedora.
> 4) JPackage does not support Fedora exclusively (nor do we intend to),
> we support Mandriva, OpenSuSE, etc.
> 5) JPackage is not beholden to the Fedora project in any way, so you
> aren't allowing anything.  We are an OSS project, just like Fedora is,
> except we focus on something different than an entire OS.

None of what Jason says is incorrect.  We can't possibly dictate what
jpackage does.  All we can do is figure out the best way to work with
jpackage and our own user base.

My vision is an infrastructure set that allows Fedora contributors to
easily push/pull content from jpackage infrastructure and vice versa so
that having the full jpackage set in Fedora is a possibility and getting
things that are submitted purely to Fedora over into jpackage easily as
well.

The fact that we're arguing over a few characters in a release string
instead of something far more fundamental is probably a good thing.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!