Summary of the 2008-04-08 Packaging Committee meeting

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat May 17 04:16:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:52 AM, Jason Corley <jason.corley at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > Overlapping repos are fundamentally broken, period. We've had long
> flamewars in the past about how ATrpms freely
> > replaces Fedora packages making an unsupportable mess. Why are we
> allowing JPackage to pull the same crap?
>
> 1) JPackage predates Fedora and it's predecessor in interest fedora.us.

And what does that have to do with engineering integrity? Overlapping repos
are broken, period. Is anyone not convinced of this? Do I really need to go
over the reasons why? I'm sorry, seniority is no justification. And JPackage
only has seniority if you conveniently ignore the fact that Fedora is an
evolved form of Red Hat Linux and not an entirely new project.

2) The packages that are in question come from JPackage and were
> imported into Fedora (hence the jpp in version string).

And? So continue keeping the Fedora package in sync with JPackage.

> 3) Most of the JPackage repository is contained in generic, which has
> a goal of being the same set of packages for all distributions we
> support.  Only JNI code (or similar) is in the distribution specific
> repositories, so removal of packages that conflict with Fedora from
> the generic repo harms our user base that is not on Fedora.

Set up your build system to maintain symlinks to everything in the "generic"
repo in the Fedora-specific repo, *except* for what exists in Fedora. Then
point Fedora systems at *only* the Fedora-specific repo. Ta da, fixed. Now
go do it. I'm already doing something similar for multilib support in my
personal testing repo with some truly hideous bash script. I really should
rewrite it in python...

4) JPackage does not support Fedora exclusively (nor do we intend to),
> we support Mandriva, OpenSuSE, etc.

Red herring.

5) JPackage is not beholden to the Fedora project in any way, so you
> aren't allowing anything.  We are an OSS project, just like Fedora is,
> except we focus on something different than an entire OS.<https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-devel-list>

 Neither is Fedora beholden to JPackage. I'm not sure what your point is. If
JPackage insists on Doing It Wrong, that's their problem, not ours. I just
gave you a possible solution.