Glitch-Free PulseAudio in Rawhide

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 20 06:05:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:11 AM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> The user experience is horrible too:
>  * PA decides the exit/crash at random
>  * Rhythmbox locks up hard, sometimes using 100% CPU
>  * Volume Control gives a cryptic error about a connection being lost
>  * Skype no longer works, in strange ways (i.e. Sound In fails)
>  * Unless you know (how?!?) that you need a 'pulseaudio -D', you
>    have to reboot the machine to get working sound

Yes, PA suffers from "perfect programmer" syndrome. It fails at graceful
failure recovery. You get cryptic errors when it dies, and offers no obvious
way to restart it. Why is it not auto-restarted by the session manager? That
would take care of things if it dies, but not if it wedges solid like what
happened to me once. Did the lock file cleanup problem get fixed?

I've taken to nuking PA off all my systems that support multiple channels in
hardware. PA doesn't even take advantage of that.

Aureal forever.