getting rid of vendor prefixes for desktop files

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue May 20 19:50:17 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
>> Thus, I'd like to propose that we change the packaging guidelines to
>> stop recommending the addition of a vendor prefix, and remove existing
>> vendor prefixes in F10. This will cause a mild one-time pain for
>> existing users with customized menus. We can probably discuss ways to
>> avoid that.
>>
>> Comments ?
>
> I agree with the sentiment, but, keep in mind that the current guidelines
> don't go so far as to mandate vendor prefixes and that there are exceptions
> to every rule.

Current Guidelines:
'''
   {{{ Three examples, two of which show --vendor="<vendor_id>", one of
which shows --vendor="" }}}

   * If upstream uses <vendor_id>, leave it intact, otherwise use fedora
as <vendor_id>.
   * It is important that vendor_id stay constant for the life of a
package.
   This is mostly for the sake of menu-editing (which bases off of
.desktop file/path names).
'''

So this is confusing as to whether --vendor is mandatory or optional.  I
can't think of a reason that we'd want to keep recommending --vendor if
both you and Rex are in favor of dropping it and we can figure out some
way to mitigate the customized menu issue.

-Toshio