Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 20 22:14:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Christopher Stone
<chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, this is good news.  I'll post on the nVidia forums to make sure
> they know.  I still think it's a bit uncalled for to say nVidia should
> get their act together when the ABI was only declared stable last
> week.

Dude that thread is super long...and I was quoting an nvidia dev from
the thread.
Trust me... they know.  Post #42 is a really good read concerning the
recent history of the ABI. There is absolutely nothing new here.

> As I stated in my original post "just how hard can it be to provide
> compatibility packages?"  From what I understand, you could just drop
> in the F8 packages right into F9 and that's all that is required.
> Then nVidia users could use the f8 version of xorg while everyone else
> could use the f9 version.  Why is it not that simple?

You replace the f9 versions with the f8 versions. Making that work
seemlessly is the trick.
And if you read the nvnews thread I just dug up...people have been
able to recompile the driver that is available and get it to work.
This is a storm in a teacup. It will blow itself out soon enough.

-jef