Should I upgrade to Fedora 9 / KDE 4?

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Tue May 20 22:32:53 UTC 2008

> Philip Ashmore wrote:
>> Hi there.
>>
>> People can only "look before you leap" if they are presented with
>> enough information to make an informed choice.
>

>> I have no CD/DVD drive and no other machine.
>> After reformatting my hard disk twice, trying to copy the DVD image
>> to a hard disk partition to boot off it and eventually using VMware
>> server to boot off the ISO and install to a physical hard disk, I
>> wish I hadn't started.
>
> Another great option would have been to try LiveUSB with persistence
> on a $10 2GB USB stick.  With LiveUSB and persistence you can even
> install/upgrade RPMS.  Very safe and easy way to try a new Fedora
> without risk.
>
> Warren Togami
> wtogami at redhat.com

If I had a laptop that could boot of USB drives then you would be correct.
I have a 2002 Dell Inspiron 8000.

If only computer manufacturers open-sourced their BIOS software I could
add USB boot capability to my Flash BIOS and be good to go...(TODO).
Yes it may be getting on a bit now but not many laptops sport a
1600x1200 display!

Philip