Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 20 23:25:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Alan <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:

> Besides... Someone has to push these things out first.  If no one pushed
> out new versions before the release date, they would not get much in the
> way of testing.  Getting xorg 1.5 into the F9 betas gave it more testing
> than if it was just confined to the people who compile their version of X
> from the source code repository.  Yes it causes pain for some users, but
> it makes for a much more stable version for the rest of us once the
> initial bugs get worked out.

Yes, we've had this flame war before. Last time, it was said that Nvidia has
no intention of updating their drivers to a new Xorg ABI until a
distribution releases that version in a *stable* release. That means if
every distribution waited around for Nvidia to have their drivers ready
before release, we'd be waiting forever. So go bitch at Nvidia, not us.
Standing around and waiting is not what Fedora is about. We move fast. Don't
like it? Use something else.