Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Erich Zigler ezigler at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:36:20 UTC 2008

2008/5/20 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:

> Yes, we've had this flame war before. Last time, it was said that Nvidia has
> no intention of updating their drivers to a new Xorg ABI until a
> distribution releases that version in a *stable* release. That means if
> every distribution waited around for Nvidia to have their drivers ready
> before release, we'd be waiting forever. So go bitch at Nvidia, not us.
> Standing around and waiting is not what Fedora is about. We move fast. Don't
> like it? Use something else.

I like Fedora, I advocate Fedora, I install it on people's
workstations, and talk it up as much as I can. However Nvidia did not
jump the gun and ship a prerelease Xorg.

I see and agree with the point of not being held hostage by a vendor,
and there is no winners here. Only losers and those losers are the
Fedora users who depend on the nvidia drivers who will either have to
reinstall F8 or go to another distro and provide bad word of mouth for
Fedora.

- Erich