Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Dave Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Tue May 20 23:39:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 17:23 -0400, Jason Tang wrote:
> The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
> nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
> non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
> confidence in the dev team.
>
> Most users could care less about supposed 'valid' reasons - that fact
> is: No 3D acceleration == No F9 adoption (or worse, an eroding user
> base).  Lets not play this game with F10.

Let me just state, this is not going to happen ever. If you want hold
your desktop ransom to a large binary piece of software, I'm sure
Microsoft will sell you an OS more suited to your needs.

Fedora is about having an open distro and we are *never* going to expend
time or effort to support a binary driver. I say this as the
co-maintainer of X.org for Fedora. Fedora is not ajax's or mine primary
reason for being paid, we really wish it was. However even if Fedora was
the only thing I was scheduled to work on, I would still not expend even
one small shred of effort to support a binary driver running on this OS.
You buy hardware with closed source you now get to keep both bits.

unsure if I can clarify this any better.

Dave.