Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed May 21 04:05:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM, Erich Zigler <ezigler at gmail.com> wrote:
> You know a lot more about this stuff then I do but I don't see any
> thing you posted there to make #3 and #5 any less true. The point I
> was trying to make in #3 and #5 was consideration for the user in such
> decisions and noting such things as this in the Release Notes.

Here let me show you something... pointing out that NVidia lagged the
X.org 7.3 release and its stable ABI.

Fact 1:  X.org 7.3 was released on 09-06-07
Reference:  http://www.x.org/wiki/Releases/7.3

Fact 2: NVidia did not have a new driver ready as of X.org 7.3 release:
Reference:  http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97942
Quote Nvidia developer on :09-06-07
"To reiterate, we can't comment on driver release schedules but I can
confirm that the next driver release will support X.org 7.3. In the
meantime, using -ignoreABI should be safe as long as you disable the
Composite extension."

Fact 3: Nvidia does not time releases around X.org releases:
Reference: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98635
Quote NVidia developer on :09-06-07
"the next driver release is not pending the Xorg-7.3 release."

-jef