New Xorg

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed May 21 05:40:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-21 at 07:13 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> I know this probably isn't the place to do this, but I'm not sure what
> the right place is.  ajax & Dave, thank you for the work you've done on
> the new Xorg.  I know there have been lots of complaints, and, as an
> nVidia user, I understand them.
>
> However, the stuff you're working on for *all* the other drivers is
> pretty incredible and more than makes up for a few weeks without
> eye-candy on my primary system.  The way it all works on Intel video
> cards is great, and I'm particularly impressed with the DRI2 stuff
> (though kernel mode-setting is pretty cool too).  Please keep it up.
>
> Jonathan

/+1.

Even-though I've got a number of F8 machines with nVidia cards, I still
support the X.org maintainer's decision to use a pre-release
X.org/X-server version.
Being an OSS project, Fedora should -only- consider the state of their
OSS eco-system when making decisions.

More-ever, I find that blaming Fedora for not making decisions based on
nVidia's policy while ignoring the (sad) state of the OSS nv driver, is
nothing short of hypocrisy.

If -I- chose* to to use binary drivers - Fedora should not be held
accountable for -my- decision.

- Gilboa
* At least until ATI/AMD OSS drivers mature and gain significant 3D
support.