Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed May 21 06:05:02 UTC 2008

Christopher Stone wrote:
> I'm sure a repo will pop up with all the necessary rpms if nVidia
> doesn't come out with drivers soon enough.  It is just frustrating
> that it has to happen this way.  Such a small amount of effort to make
> the distro user friendly for everyone, and yet we must stick to our
> principles and screw the end user.  It doesn't make sense.

You seem to be deliberately ignoring the already stated (more than once) in the
thread actual workaround that has existed for months.  The F8 version xorg rpms
work just fine with F9... many people have been using them for months during the
F9 development cycle... there are multiple howto and blog posts about how to
make it happen.

The rpms don't need to show up in a special repo.  The xorg developers don't
need to fix some hack-workaround-multiple-xserver release.  You need to try
using google.  If you cannot handle the downgrade you need to try using google
again for instructions on downgrading rpms.  Finally, you should put your time
to better use by doing the aforementioned things (which would result in a nicely
working F9+nvidia glx capable system in much less time than it took to complain
about this).

As for your previous 'it looks easy to me' claims on providing the backward
capability: please go ahead and supply those rpms at your leisure if it is so
easy.  The rest of us will probably just downgrade xorg to F8 happily or wait
for nvidia.  If you're interested, I have criticized nvidia over their slow
release cycle for years now, but criticizing the Fedora community over this
issue is just pointless.  The problem lies in the smallish development resources
nvidia has dedicated to the linux community which cannot handle rapid
development and release for moving targets (the ABI changes).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29