Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Emmanuel Seyman emmanuel.seyman at club-internet.fr
Wed May 21 09:19:06 UTC 2008

* Callum Lerwick [21/05/2008 11:03] :

> I like how in these threads it keeps conveniently being ignored that we work
> just fine out of the box on Nvidia. We just don't have 3D yet.

I've always being surprised at the amount of blame-shifting that occurs
in regards to Nvidia's drivers.

- The free drivers suck. This apparently isn't NVidia's fault (which is
  strange since they help maintain it) but the x.org developers'.
- The non-free drivers aren't free. This apparently isn't NVidia's fault.
- This makes the drivers impossible to ship as part of the distribution
  or support as a third-party repo. This is somehow the distribution's
  fault.
- They don't release drivers once the ABI is frozen or even the day
  stable releases of x.org are issued. This apparently isn't their fault.
- They won't release the specs. This apparently isn't their fault.
- They badmouth the open source developement model. I have no idea why
  but this isn't their fault.

Emmanuel