Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 21 15:56:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 08:18:47AM -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:51:08 -0700, Christopher Stone scripst:
> >> nVidia can't do anything until xorg's ABI is *stable*.
> >
> > They can -- publish specs. Tell them they are cheating on you as your
> > customer, when they don't tell you how to use the hardware you bought from
> > them.
>
> Maybe my next card will be ATi, how is that driver doing?  The last
> I've heard it still has problems, but maybe it has improved, I don't
> know.

It worked out of the box with F9 on my IBM T60 laptop with r500 card. No
3d, but that's not a showstopper, and 3d support is progressing very rapidly
for r500 cards too:

  http://airlied.livejournal.com/60149.html

The xrandr stuff also works flawlessly with external monitors /projectors
I've tried so far. In short ATI support is looking great thanks to the
excellant work done by Xorg developers and with help from ATI's release
of their hardware specs.

Dan.
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|